Sep 6, 2008

Shantaram


Shantaram, by Gregory Roberts, is a novel like no other. Of all the books and novels that I read none of them had an impact on me as much as this book. A lot of what he mentioned in the novel is undeniably true, which is why I can relate to what he says. His words has great depth, that one cannot help but be moved by them, influenced..and inspired.

The following are quotations from Shantaram which I believe are some of the most beautiful and meaningful quotes I’ve ever read.

“It took me a long time and most of the world to know what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured. I realized, somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in that shackled, bloody helplessness, I was still free: free to hate the men who were torturing me, or to forgive them. It doesn’t sound like much, I know. But in the flinch and bite of the chain, when it’s all you’ve got, that freedom is a universe of possibility. And the choice you make, between hating and forgiving, can be the story of your life.”

“At first, when we truly love someone, our greatest fear is that the loved one will stop loving us. What we should fear and dread instead is that we won’t stop loving them, even after they are dead and gone.”

“Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we can never know which one is which until we’ve loved them, left them, or fought them.”

“Sometimes we love with nothing more than hope. Sometimes we cry with everything except tears. In the end that’s all there is: love and its duty, sorrow and its truth. In the end that’s all we have - to hold on tight until the dawn”

“Be true to love where ever you find it, and be true to yourself and everything that you really are.” 

No comments: