Aug 31, 2010

Old Friend

He put his ear against the earth and called, “Old friend, come back here; old friend, I miss you.” “I think of you every moment of the day. Oh, restless soul. What have I done to you?”

“Forgive me old friend. I should’ve known better.”

“I wish I could turn back time, and undo everything that I have done. I tried to come clean, but I gave up too soon, and I dragged you with me into the abyss.”

“I watched you burn. I watched you weep, but I pretended not to see.”

“Old friend, forgive me.”

He wakes up at night in a cold sweat. His heart beating fast, he could barely breath. He picks up the phone and tries to call. But reality strikes and he remembers then, that his friend is no longer here.

“Oh weary soul, I loved you. Because of you, I walked through fire and came out alive. But why haven’t you?” He wondered why wasn’t he who died. He missed his friend, his brother, his strength, and raging fire.

He prays here on his knees, to his friend that was once a living soul, and he says: “Old friend, I miss you.”

No comments: